Google Search

Friday, May 11, 2012

Rock Hall Broadcast: Dedicated to Adam Yauch of Beastie Boys

HBO's broadcast of the 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, which debuts at 9 p.m. ET Saturday (May 5) will be dedicated to Adam "MCA" Yauch of the Beastie Boys, who were inducted on April 14 in Cleveland.

An HBO spokesperson tells Billboard.com that the show's ending has been changed to include a photo of the rapper and musician -- who passed away on Friday at the age of 47, following a nearly three-year battle with cancer -- with text that reads "In Memory of Adam Yauch." The two-and-a-half-hour show had already been altered to include Levon Helm and Dick Clark during the In Memoriam section, even though both died during the week following the event.

Yauch did not attend the ceremony at Cleveland's Town Hall but sent a letter that was read to the audience by fellow Beastie Boy Adam "Ad-Rock" Horovitz. Yauch's parents, Frances and Noel Yauch, attended the ceremony and were thanked for their support in their son's letter as well as by Horovitz and Mike "Mike D" Diamond. The other two Beastie Boys chose not to perform during the ceremony; instead Kid Rock, Gym Class Heroes Travie McCoy and the Roots delivered a well-received medley of the group's favorites.

HBO has 14 other airings scheduled for HBO and HBO2, while HBO Signature will air the special for 24 hours on Sunday, May 6.

The bulk of Yauch's Rock hall induction letter went as follows:

I'd like to dedicate this award to my brothers, Adam and Mike, who've walked the globe with me.

To anyone who's been touched by our band, who our music has meant something to, this induction is as much ours as it is yours. To Kate Schellenbach. To John Berry. To John Berry's loft on 100th St. in Brooklyn where John's dad would come busting in during our first practices screaming, "Would you turn that f***ing s*** off already!"...

To my loving and supportive parents, Noel and Frances Yauch, and to our home in Brooklyn where we used to practice on hot Brooklyn days after school, windows wide open to disturb the neighborhood...

But most of all I'd like to thank and dedicate this honor to my smart, beautiful and loving wife Dechen and our sweet, talented, loving daughter Tenzin. Never has a man felt more blessed than I to be able to spend my time with my two soulmates. I love you guys more than you know.

I wish I could name everyone who deserves to be named, but of course there's too many names to name. You know who you are, and I sent my love out to all of you.

Your friend, Adam Yauch.


View the original article here